From Paper to Stone
This season’s lobby exhibit features the recently conserved original drawing that was used to guide the design for the eight decorative frieze panels that document and highlight the early history of Texas at the base of the monument. Drawn and later sculpted using the direct carving method by artist William McVey in 1937 to present to the building’s architect, Alfred Finn, for approval prior to executing the work, the large rendering was later given to a noted Texan bookseller and publisher, Herbert Fletcher, in 1939.
When donated to the museum in 2016, the work was definitely showing its age. It had been affixed to a mat board with spray adhesive and had several rips and tears along its yellowing surface. Conservation has made the damaged drawing look almost new again. Presented along with photos and other materials related to the construction of the museum—in particular the frieze—the drawing will be on view from November 1, 2018, through February 2019 in the museum lobby.