The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
WILKINSON, JAMES-- Came to Texas in 1836, as is stated in the Headright Certificate issued in his name March 21, 1838 for one-third of a league of land by the Harrisburg County Board. The certificate had been assigned to David P. Coit. On page 114 of the army muster rolls in the General Land Office it is shown that Mr. Wilkinson took the oath of allegiance to Texas at Nacogdoches, January 14, 1836. On page 86 of the muster rolls he is shown as having enlisted in the army February 2, 1836, and on page 94, it is shown that he was discharged July 21, 1836. He was a member of Captain Henry Teal's Company of the Regular Army at San Jacinto and on April 30, 1852 Donation Certificate No. 437 for 640 acres of land was issued in his name. It had been assigned to James H. Isbell. He re-enlisted in the army and Bounty Certificate No. 5 for 1280 acres of land was issued in his name for his services from October 15, 1836 to October 15, 1837. On November 4, 1837 he had sold the rights to the certificate to George Fisher for one hundred dollars. Mr. Wilkinson having assigned the rights to the land due him prior to the time of the issuance of the certificate is an indication that he left Texas shortly after being discharged from the army.
From: L.W. Kemp, Chairman Advisory Board of Texas Historians, Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations: The remains of James G. Wilkinson, San Jacinto veteran, and his wife, Amanda Wilkinson, will be interred in the State Cemetery at Austin, Friday, April 8, 1938 under the auspices of the William B. Travis Chapter, Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
Mr. Wilkinson was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, March 6, 1805 and came to Texas from Tennessee in 1831. He participated in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836 as a member of Captain William W. Hill's Company. He died in what is now Burleson County, August 15, 1848 and was buried on his farm. A simple headstone marked his grave on which was inscribed the place and date of his birth and date of his death. A rough stone marked the grave of his wife but there was no inscription on it. The land on which the two were buried has changed hands many times and now belongs to one who knows nothing concerning the Wilkinson family.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Andrew Briscoe
- Alternate Names: Wilkerson
- Came to Texas: 1836
- Bounty Certificate: 5
- Donation Certificate: 437