Newman, William P. ( 1810 Feb 25 - 1891 May 12 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
NEWMAN, WILLIAM P. -- The date of Mr. Newman's emigration to Texas has not been ascertained. He did not apply for a Headright Certificate. He was a member of Captain Richard Roman's Company at San Jacinto. Most of the men of Captain Roman's Company arrived at Velasco on January 28, 1836 and the names of those who were in the company on January 30th are listed on page 27 of the army rolls in the General Land Office. Mr. Newman's name is not on the list.
In pursuance to an Act of the Legislature approved February 13, 1860, Mr. Newman's heirs were on February 23, 1860 issued Donation Certificate No. 1053 for 640 acres of land by W. J. Hotchkiss, due Mr. Newman for having participated in the battle of San Jacinto. The time and place of Mr. Newman's death has not been ascertained. In the Court of Claims file in the General Land Office, Austin, it is shown that on May 24, 1840, Mr. Newman while a resident of Travis County assigned his rights to 1280 acres due him for his services in the army to S. L. Wheeler. Mr. Newman could not sign his name and made his mark to the deed of transfer.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Wounded in Battle: Yes - not seriously
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Richard Roman
- Alternate Names: William R.; William Rabb
- Date of Birth: 1810 Feb 25
- Birthplace: Illinois, Springfield
- Date of Death: 1891 May 12
- Burial Place: Gillett Cemetery, Gillett, Karnes Co., Texas
- Donation Certificate: 1053
- Wife: 1. Margaret Nelson; 2. Martha Ann Shedrick
- Children: Jasper G. Newman, James N. Newman, Joseph Austin Newman, Ali Freeman Newman, Rebecca Ann Newman Makemson, William Henry Newman, George Green Newman, Martha Louisa Newman Leckie, Thomas Stern Newman
- Family at San Jacinto: Brother-in-law Jesse Robinson