The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
McKENZIE, HUGH -- One of the "Old Three Hundred" Of Austin's colonists. He and John Smith, both being single, were granted a league of land jointly situated in the present counties of Wharton and Matagorda, August 3, 1824. He did not apply for a Headright Certificate from the Republic of Texas.
Mr. McKenzie was a member of Captain William J.E. Heard's Company of Citizen Soldiers at San Jacinto and on May 15, 1838 he was issued Donation Certificate No. 71 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle. Bounty Certificate No. 3381 for 320 acres of land was issued to him May 15, 1838 for his services in the army from March 1 to June 1, 1836.
According to information contained on page 234, Book G, Deed Records of Wharton County, Mr. McKenzie was living in Colorado County on July 28 1845, when he sold to William T. Jones some of the land granted to him by the Mexican Government. He was living in Colorado County December 5, 1855, as shown in Book 1, page 672, Deed Records of Colorado County, when he sold his San Jacinto land to Chas. W. Tait for $500.00. He could not write, but affixed his mark to the deed of transfer.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William J. E. Heard
- Came to Texas: 1824
- Comments: Old Three Hundred
- Bounty Certificate: 3381
- Donation Certificate: 71