Back to Veterans
Harrison, Elzy ( ? - 1851 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
HARRISON, ELZY -- Name omitted from the official San Jacinto roll printed in 1836. In the Headright Certificate issued to him by the Brazoria County Board January 25, 1838 for one-third of a league of land, it is stated that he had arrived in Texas prior to May 2, 1835. The land was surveyed in what is now Gillespie County.
Read The Full Bio
Mr. Harrison was a member of Captain James Gillaspie's company at San Jacinto and on July 10, 1838 he was issued Donation Certificate No. 438 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle. The Land Office records do not show that he applied for any other land due him for his services in the arm. His San Jacinto land was surveyed in Travis County on Onion Creek. The deed records of Travis County show that it was sold at auction in Austin August 15, 1850 by the sheriff for 1848-49.
Mr. Harrison was probably a brother of A. D. and Andrew Jackson Harrison. Representing the heirs of Andrew J. Harrison he received a Headright Certificate for one-third of a league of land January 25, 1838 from the Austin County Board. Andrew J. Harrison died while serving in the Texas army in 1835.
Mr. Harrison died in Brazoria County prior to May 17, 1851 as is shown by the deed records of that county. A. L. Harrison at that time claimed to have been the sole surviving heir of Andrew J. Harrison.
How do you know he was in Gillespie's Co.?
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. James Gillaspie
- Came to Texas: Between May 2, 1835 and Mar 2, 1836
- Date of Death: 1851
- Donation Certificate: 438