Darst, Emory Holman ( 1814 Jan 26 - ? )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
DARST, EMORY HOLMAN - Born in St. Charles County, Missouri, January 26, 1814, a son of Abraham and Tabethy Boone Calloway Darst, first wife of Abraham Darst. His mother died in St. Charles County, Missouri in 1818 and his father was next married to Gemina Brownfield of Fayette County, Illionis. Abraham Darst was a brother of Jacob C. Darst, who fell in the Alamo. Abraham Darst died at Domon Mound in Fort Bent County, Christmas 1833, and on May 4, 1835 his estate was divided between his widow and his children. Mrs. Darst died at Damon Mound, Texas. Children of Abraham Darst were Edmond Calloway, Patrick Ewin, Richard Brownfield, John Grubs, Abraham, Rosetta, Emory Holman, Lorina and Jesse Darst. Jesse died prior to the death of his father.
Emory H Darst came to Texas in September, 1829 as is stated in Headright Certificate No. 152 issued to him February 7, 1838 for one-third of a league of land by the Fort Bend County Board of Land Commissioners.
Mr. Darst was a member of Captain John Austin’s Company at the battle of Velasco, June 26, 1832. He was a member of Captain William H. Patton’s Company and on August 27, 1846 was issued Bounty Certificate No. 102 for 320 acres of land for having served in the army from March 1 to June 1, 1836. On November 26, 1846 he was issued Donation Certificate No. 52 for 640 acres of land for having been detailed to guard the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg. April 21, 1836.
Mr. Darst was married to Mary Ann Moore, daughter of Elisha and Jane (Gillett) Moore in 1841. Mr. Darst died at the home of George W. Pleasants November 27, 1880 in Ft. Bend County, and was buried in the Snake Creek Cemetery near Kendleton. His grave is lost. Mrs. Darst, who was born November 8, 1819, died June 7, 1902.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Darst were (1) William Moore, (2) Jane S. (3) Thomas M. (4) Harriet E. (5) Emma, (6) David H. (7) Warren E., (8) Robert Hodges and (9) Mary E. Darst.
(1) William Moore Darst was married to Susan Hodges. Their children were (a) Emory H., (b) William H., (c) Edwin P,. (d) Homer N., (e) Nettie B. and (f) Janie E. Darst.
(a) Emory H. Darst died January 13, 1914 without issue.
(b) William H. Darst died August 23, 1895 without issue.
(c) Edwin P. Darst died without issue.
(d) Homer N. Darst was married to Inez Nott. Mr. and Mrs. Darst reside in Richmond.
(e) Nettie B. Darst died August 31, 1906 without issue.
(f) Miss Janie E. Darst resides in Richmond.
(2) Jane S. Darst was married to Harry S. Mason. Their children were (a) Harry S. and (b) Turner Mason.
(a) Harry S. Mason lives in Vernon, Texas.
(b) Turner Mason died in Vernon in 1900.
(3) Thomas M. Darst died August 5, 1847.
(4) Harriet E. Darst was married to Samuel N. Hodges.
(5) Emma E. Darst was married to James M. Simpson. After the death of Mr. Simpson she was married to James Davis. Their children were (a) Claude L. (b) Sidney W. and (c) Lydia L.
(a) Claude L. Darst was married to Miss Armstrong. After the death of his wife he married again. He lives in Richmond.
(b) Sidney W. Darst was married to Lizzie Wesendorff. Mr. and Mrs. Moore reside in Richmond.
(6) David H. Darst died October 30, 1868.
(7) Warren E. Darst died Jan. 25, 1882 without issue.
(8) Robert H. Darst was married to Katie Lee Brush. Mrs. Brush died September 2, 1894 and Mr. Darst married Pearl R. Ransom. Mr. and Mrs. Darst reside in Richmond. Their children were (a) Harris, (b) Thomas B. and (c) Robert M. Darst.
(a) Harris Darst was married to Vivian Sargent. Mr. and Mrs. Darst reside at Richmond.
(b) Thomas B. Darst was married to Annie Jackson. Mr. and Mrs. Darst reside at Richmond.
(c) Robert M. Darst was married to Nell McCormack. Mr. and Mrs. Darst reside at Kendleton, Texas.
(9) Mary E. Darst was married in Lewis G. Lum. Their children were (a) Warren and (b) Mary D. Lum.
(a) Warren Lum was married to Lillian Jobe. Mr. and Mrs. Lum reside in Harwood, Texas.
(b) Mary D. Lum was married to Raymond E. Moore. Mr. and Mrs. Moore reside in Richmond.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Company: [Capt. William Patton] detailed to guard baggage
- Date of Birth: 1814 Jan 26
- Birthplace: Missouri, St. Charles County
- Came to Texas: 1829 Sept
- Burial Place: Snake Creek Cemetery, Ft. Bend Co., Texas
- Other Battles: Velasco
- Bounty Certificate: 102
- Donation Certificate: 52
- Wife: Mary Ann Moore
- Children: William Moore Darst; Jane S. Darst Mason; Thomas M. Darst; Harriet E. Darst; Emma Darst; David H. Darst; Warren E. Darst; Robert Hodges Darst; Mary E. Darst Lum