Smith, John G.
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
SMITH, JOHN G. - Came to Texas prior to May 2, 1835, as is stated in the headright certificate issued to him January 25, 1838 for one-third of a league of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for Brazoria County. The fact that he had received no land from the Mexican Government indicates that he did not arrive in Texas long before May 2, 1835. He was a member of Captain Peyton R. Splane’s company and on June 27, 1838 was issued Donation Certificate No. 383 for 640 acres of land for having been detailed to guard the baggage opposite Harrisburg, April 21, 1836.
Mr. Smith was living in Rockport Aransas County, September 9, 1881 when he sold a Veterans Donation Certificate for 1280 acres of land issued to him August 19, 1881 to Samuel H. Smith for $230.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Peyton R. Splane
- Came to Texas: 1835?
- Donation Certificate: 383