The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
NEWTON, JOHN - Came to Texas in January , 1835, as is stated in Headright Certificate No. 234 issued to him February 1, 1838 for one-third of a league of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for
Washington County. He was issued Donation Certificate No. 849 April 8, 1839 for 640 acres of land for having been detailed to guard the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg, April 21, 1836. In Comptroller’s Military Service Record No. 1087 it is certified that Mr. Newton enlisted in Captain James Gillaspie’s Company March 1 and was discharged May 30; re-enlisted May 30 in Captain John Chenoweth’s Company of Zavala-Volunteers at Camp Johnson, and was discharged October 11, 1836.
There was a Mr. John Newton living in Navasota (Brazos) County in 1841.
The land on Certificate No. 849 was patented in Hamilton County, May 15, 1848.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: [Capt. James Gillaspie] detailed to guard baggage
- Came to Texas: 1835 Jan
- Donation Certificate: 849