The Kemp Sketch
TANNER, EDWARD M. -- Was a member of the Committee of Safety for the municipality of Liberty in 1835. He received Bounty Certificate No. 3604 for 320 acres of land for having served in the army from March 6 to June 6, 1836. At San Jacinto he was a member of Captain William M. Logan's Company of Liberty Volunteers and on May 28, 1838 was issued San Jacinto Donation Certificate No. 234 for having participated in the battle. On February 1, 1838 he was issued Headright Certificate No. 55 for one league of a league of land by the Liberty County Board. In the certificate it is stated that he came to Texas in 1827.
July 25, 1977
Re: San Jacinto veteran, Edward M. Tanner
The LIBERTY GAZETTE, March 26, 1855, contains a list of men appointed as overseers for the precincts of Liberty County by the County Commissioners. San Jacinto veteran Edward M. Tanner was appointed overseer for precinct II.
Mr. Tanner was a grandfather of Shelton Rawlings' uncle, Mr. Jim Tanner. Shelton Rawlings is the husband of Barbara Rawlings, museum assistant at the San Jacinto Museum of History.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William M. Logan
- Alternate Names: Edward Morris, Edward Monroe
- Date of Birth: 1815
- Birthplace: Missouri, New Madrid
- Came to Texas: 1827
- Date of Death: 1867
- Burial Place: Boothe Cemetery, Liberty County, Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 3604
- Donation Certificate: 234
- Wife: Caroline McClendon
- Children: John R. Tanner; Thomas M. Tanner; Sally Ann Tanner Lum; Mary E. Tanner Young; Morris Joel Tanner; Daniel Tanner; Lucy Jane Tanner Jackson; Harriett Rebecca Tanner Jackson Dowdell; Edward James Tanner; Elizabeth Delaney Tanner McClendon