Part of an old map of the San Jacinto area from the Texas Revolution

Veteran Bio

Texian Location:  Participant

The Kemp Sketch

(What is this?) | Download the original typescript

PICKERING, JOHN--Served under Lieutenant William J. Russell at the battle of Velasco in June 1832. It is not known when he came to Texas. In the Headright Certificate issued to him March 2, 1838 by the Brazoria County Board of Land Commissioners for a league and labor of land, it is stated that he came to Texas prior to May 2, 1835. He was a member of Captain John York' s Company in 1835 and received a Donation Certificate, dated June 12, 1848, for 640 acres of land for having participated in; the Storming and Capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. He did not apply for land due him for serving in the army in 1836. He was a member of Captain William H. Patton's Columbia Company at San Jacinto.

Mr. Pickering was married to Sumia Morris in Brazoria County, February 17, 1838. He was killed October 20, 1838 while serving as a volunteer under Captain Benjamin F. Cage against the Indians on Leon Creek four miles from San Antonio. His body and those of his slain companions were returned to San Antonio and buried just outside the Catholic Cemetery, now Milam Square.

Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.

Battle Statistics

  • Died in Battle: No
  • Rank: Private
  • Company: Capt. David Murphree

Personal Statistics

  • Date of Death: 1838 Oct 20
  • Burial Place: San Antonio, Texas
  • Other Battles: Velasco, Bexar
  • Comments: Killed while fighting against Indians
  • Wife: Sumia Morris