The Kemp Sketch
McCOY, WILLIAM -- Name not shown on the San Jacinto rolls printed in 1836. Captain James Gillaspie in Comptroller's Military Service Record No. 7633 certified that William McCoy enlisted in his company March 1, fought at San Jacinto and was discharged June 1, 1836. He stated that Mr. McCoy was a substitute for Henry Fantrop. Mr. Fantrop later operated a famous inn at Fantrop's, now called Anderson, in Grimes County. McCoy was issued Donation Certificate No. 721 for 640 acres of land on December 27, 1838, for having participated in the battle of San Jacinto. He was living in Grimes County November 17, 1848, when he sold the certificate to John B. Cameron for $55.00. He could not write but affixed his mark to the deed of transfer.
In the Headright Certificate issued to Mr. McCoy February 2, 1838 for one third of a league of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for Montgomery County, it stated that he came to Texas in 1831. He was living in Montgomery County, probably in that part now embraced in Grimes County, April 9, 1845 when he sold his Headright Certificate.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. James Gillaspie
- Came to Texas: 1831
- Donation Certificate: 721
- Wife: Martha Jones
- Children: yes