The Kemp Sketch
JOHNSON, GEORGE -- Arrived in Texas January 1, 1836, as is stated in the Headright Certificate issued to him February 1, 1838, for a league and labor of land by the Nacogdoches County Board. On January 14, 1836, he enlisted in the Volunteer Auxiliary Corps at Nacogdoches. In Service Record No. 7427 it is certified that he served in the company recruited by Major Leander Smith from March 7 to April 1, 1836, when he was discharged with permission to join Captain William H. Smith's Company of Cavalry. He was discharged May 3, 1836. On February 4, 1842, he was issued Donation Certificate No. 1017 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle of San Jacinto.
Mr. Johnson died prior to January 1, 1857. His widow, Mrs. Isabella Johnson, was married again to a Mr. Martin. In 1857 Mrs. Martin had the land surveyed in Harrison County which was due on Mr. Johnson's Headright Certificate.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William H. Smith
- Came to Texas: 1836 Jan 1
- Date of Death: 1856?
- Donation Certificate: 1017
- Wife: Isabella Johnson Martin