The Kemp Sketch
JENNINGS, DR. JAMES D. -- Probably born in Steubenville, Ohio. His father Rev. Obadiah Jennings, D. D. after graduating at Cannonsburg Academy, now Washington and Jefferson College, studied law in the office of John Simonton of Washington, Pennsylvania, in about 1800. In perhaps the same year he moved to Steubenville, Ohio where his oldest child by his second marriage to Ann Stuart Wilson was born in 1805. Returning to Washington, Pennsylvania in 1811 he joined the Presbyterian Church, studied for the ministry, and was licensed to preach in 1816. In 1817 he accepted a call to a church in Steubenville. He returned to Washington, Pennsylvania in 1823 to occupy the pulpit of the church there. In 1823 he accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee. He died in Nashville in 1832.
Dr. James D. Jennings came to Texas in 1835 as a member of a company of volunteers known as the U. S. Invincibles, commanded by Captain John W. Peacock. This company participated in the Storming and Capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835.
Dr. Jenning's name is listed on page 42 of the army rolls in the General Land Office as one of the members of Captain Joseph B. Chance's company who was detailed to guard the camp opposite Harrisburg April 21, 1836. Following his name is the notation: "in the battle." At San Jacinto he was a member of Captain William W. Hill's company. After receiving his discharge he, on May 16 re-enlisted in the army. He was issued Bounty Certificate No. ___ for 640 acres of land for having served in the army from May 15 to November 15, 1836. He died not applying for the bounty land due him for his services in the army prior to May 15.
Dr. Thomas R. Jennings, brother of Dr. James D. Jennings, on December 17, 1858, as one of his brother's heirs applied for the land due Dr. Jennings from the State of Texas. The following information is contained in the Court of Claims files, General Land Office, in the depositions of Dr. Thomas Reed Jennings and Dr. John T. Edgar both of Nashville, Tennessee.
Rev. Obadiah Jennings, D. D. was married to Ann Wilson. Their children were Thomas Reed, James D., Ann Elizabeth, Mary Stuart, Sarah, Rebecca Stuart Read Jennings, and Ellen Jennings.
James D. Jennings, M. D. was never married.
Dr. John T. Edgar in his deposition stated that Dr. James D. Jennings had died in Clinton, Mississippi in 1839. He said the house where he died had been pointed out to him.
Dr. Jenning's heirs received his Headright Certificate for one-third of a league of land in compliance with an Act of the Legislature, approved February 8, 1854. The heirs evidently sold or gave their interest in the other land due Dr. Jennings to Kathleen Belle Crute Smith of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, grand-niece of Dr. Jennings for on February 13, 1860 she was issued Donation Certificate No. 138 for 640 acres of land due Dr. Jennings for having participated in the battle of San Jacinto.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William W. Hill
- Birthplace: Ohio, Steubenville
- Came to Texas: 1835
- Date of Death: 1839
- Other Battles: Bexar
- Donation Certificate: 138
- Profession: Doctor?
- Wife: none