The Kemp Sketch
HAYS, WILLIAM C. -- Enlisted in Captain Sidney Sherman's Company in Newport, Kentucky, December 18, 1835, and came to Texas in January, 1836. He was a member of Captain William Wood's Company at San Jacinto and on December 11, 1846, Donation Certificate No. 53 for 640 acres of land was issued to him for having participated in the battle. At the same time Bounty Certificate No. 157 for 1280 acres of land was issued to him for having served in the army from December 18, 1835, to June 12, 1836. He did not apply for a headright.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William Wood
- Alternate Names: William Cunningham; Hayes
- Date of Birth: 1806 Apr 24
- Origin: Kentucky
- Came to Texas: 1836 Jan
- Date of Death: 1893 Dec 20
- Burial Place: Maple Grove Cemetery, Rusk County, Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 157
- Donation Certificate: 53
- Children: William Henry Harrison; James Wesley; Lutitia Ann; Cunningham Smith; Daniel Madison; Benjamin Franklin; John Bruce; Mary Elizabeth