The Kemp Sketch
HALLMARK, WILLIAM CALVERT -- Born in Knox County, East Tennessee, May 20, 1804, a son of Richard Hallmark. He came to Texas in December, 1834, as is stated in the Headright Certificate issued to him January 19, 1838, for a league and labor of land by the Houston County Board. He was a member of Captain Hayden Arnold's "Nacogdoches Company" at San Jacinto and on June 13, 1839, was issued Donation Certificate No. 912 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle. On May 16, 1849, he received Bounty Certificate No. 524 for 320 acres of land for having served in the army from March 6 to June 6, 1836.
Mr. Hallmark was married to Dicy Box, daughter of Stephen Box Children of this union were (1) Asbury, (2) Sarah (3) Stephen Box, (4)George, (5) Kezriah and (6) John L. Hallmark.
Mrs. Hallmark died December 15, 1839 and Mr. Hallmark in time was married to Lena Steadham. Their children were (7) Eliza C. and (8)Manilu Hallmark.
Mr. Hallmark died January 26, 1880 , while a member of the Texas Veterans Association. The date of Mrs. Hallmark's death has not been ascertained by the compiler. Mr. & Mrs. Hallmark are buried in the Bynn Cemetery near Shilo, Houston County.
(1) Asbury Hallmark was born December 17, 1826 and died in December 1847 while a State Ranger.
(2) Sarah Hallmark was born July 7, 1829 and died May 8, 1855.
(3) Stephen Box Hallmark was born March 2, 1831 and died March 22, 1898. He was married to Elizabeth Kyle.
(4) George G. Hallmark was born March 23, 1834.
(5) Kezriah Hallmark was born December 18, 1832.
(6) John L. Hallmark was born August 4, 1837, and died September 2, 1848.
(7) Eliza C. Hallmark was married to J. W. Thompson.
(8) Manilu Hallmark was married to H. A. Satterwhite.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Hayden S. Arnold
- Alternate Names: Hallmask
- Date of Birth: 1804 May 20
- Birthplace: Tennessee, Knox County
- Origin: Tennessee
- Came to Texas: 1834 Jan
- Date of Death: 1880 Jan 26
- Burial Place: Bynum Cemetery, Houston Co., Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 524
- Donation Certificate: 912
- Wife: 1. Dicy Box; 2. Lena (Leanah) Steadham
- Children: Julianne Hallmark; Asbury Hallmark; Sarah Hallmark; Stephen Box Hallmark; Kezriah Hallmark; George Hallmark; John L. Hallmark; Eliza C. Hallmark Thompson; Manilu/Manila Hallmark Satterwhite; Amand Hallmark; Adaline Hallmark; Charles Hallmark