The Kemp Sketch
FOLEY, STEPHEN TUCKER -- On page 7 of Book B of the list of applicants for land in Austin's colonies it is shown that S. T. and M. B. Foley, brothers, had applied for land December 27, 1834. They stated that they were single and had arrived in Texas from Alabama in 1834. They did not secure their land and as Mason B. and Tucker Foley they applied for Headright Certificates from the Board of Land Commissioners of Colorado County in 1838. In the certificate issued to Tucker Foley for one-third of a league of land it is stated that he had arrived in Texas before May 2, 1835.
Mr. Foley was issued Bounty Certificate No. 7047 for 320 acres of land for having served in the army from February 25 to May 25, 1836. The land was surveyed in 1845 on Grape Creek seventy miles north of San Antonio. He was a member of Captain William J. E. Heard's Company of Citizen Soldiers at San Jacinto and on January 21, 1839 he received Donation Certificate No. 768 for having participated in the battle. He sold the certificate to John Woods.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William J. E. Heard
- Origin: Alabama
- Came to Texas: 1834
- Burial Place: Moulton, Lavaca Co., Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 7047
- Donation Certificate: 768