The Kemp Sketch
DAVIS, WASHINGTON HAMILTON -- Born in Tennessee, July 9, 1812, a son of John and Esther Davis whose children were, William J., Robert 0., John B., James M., Adeline B., Washington H., L. A., May J., E. A., and M. H. Davis.
Washington H. Davis came to Texas in March, 1835. (See Headright Certificate No. 291 for one-third of a league of land issued to him February 3, 1838 by the Board of Land Commissioners for San Augustine County).
Mr. Davis was a member of Captain William Kimbro's "San Augustine Company" and on April 18, 1848 he was issued Donation Certificate No. 105 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the Battle of San Jacinto. He was living in Walker County, April 10, 1849 when he sold the certificate to William Birdwell for $70. He did not apply for the bounty land due him for other services in the army. The Deed Records of Walker County show Mr. Davis living in that county at least as late as May 31, 1852.
The Pension Records in the Archives of the Texas State Library, Austin show that on May 13, 1874 Mr. Davis was a resident of Calaceras County, California. He made application on that date to the State of Texas for a pension for revolutionary service.
On January 28, 1841 Mr. Davis married Narcissa J. Jameson who was born February 28, 1822 in Munfordville, Hart County, Kentucky and who died January 10, 1901 in Worcester, Massachusetts. Mr. Davis died June 22, 1885 at Douglas Flat, Calaceras County, California,
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Davis were: 1. Josephine Maria, born December 20, 1841 in Huntsville, Texas; married, June 26, 1864 at Douglas Flat, California to Clifford Basheller.
2. Mary F., born June 23, 1844 in Huntsville, Texas, married probably Texas to James G. Fisher. She was living in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1897.
3. John W., born August 27, 1846 in Huntsville, Texas; married Ada Burrow. He died in San Francisco. No children.
4. Madeline, born June 23, 1849 in Huntsville, Texas.
5. William, born May 3, 1852 in Huntsville, Texas.
6. James Baker, born March 18, 1855 in Shaw's Flat, Luolumme County, California; died November 24, 1915 in Oakdale, Stanslaus City, California; married July 23, 1892 to Julia Belle Messick.
7. Charles Samuel, born June 15, 1857 in Shaws Flat, California; died unmarried August 19, 1932 in San Francisco.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William Kimbro
- Date of Birth: 1812 Jul 9
- Birthplace: Tennessee
- Came to Texas: 1835 Mar
- Date of Death: 1885 Jun 22
- Donation Certificate: 105
- Wife: Narcissa J. Jameson
- Children: Josephine Maria Davis Basheller; Mary F. Davis Fisher; John W. Davis; Madeline Davis; William Davis; James Baker Davis; Charles Samuel Davis