The Kemp Sketch
CLARK, JAMES -- In the Spanish Archives in the General Land Office it is shown that Mr. Clark was issued a certificate of Character November 12, 1834 by John Bodine, Second Rigedore of San Augustine Municipality. In the certificate it is stated that Mr. Clark was a native of Mississippi and that he had arrived in Texas in 1834. On June 8, 1835 he received title to one-fourth of a league of land in Zavala's Colony situated in what is now Sabine County. It adjoined the survey of William Clark. In 1838 a Headright Certificate for one-twelfth of a league of land was issued in Mr. Clark's name but it had been assigned to Epps D. Payne.
Mr. Clark was a member of Captain Benjamin's F. Bryant's Company
at San Jacinto and on June 5, 1840 he was issued Donation
Certificate No. 1079 for 640 acres of land for having
participated in the battle. He was living in Walker County June
30, 1849 when he sold the certificate for $35.00. Like most of
the men of Captain Bryant's Company Mr. Clark only enlisted in
the army for a period of one month and was, therefore, not
entitled to receive donation land.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Benjamin F. Bryant
- Birthplace: Mississippi
- Came to Texas: 1834
- Donation Certificate: 1079