Part of an old map of the San Jacinto area from the Texas Revolution

Veteran Bio

Texian Location:  Participant

The Kemp Sketch

(What is this?) | Download the original typescript

CHAPMAN, HENRY S. -- Name omitted from the official San Jacinto rolls printed in 1836 and from the rolls of those left at the camp opposite Harrisburg, April 21, 1836. In the Headright certificate issued to him February 4, 1838 it is certified that he came to came to Texas in 1834. In Service Record No, 4686 it is certified that Henry Chapman, Thomas D. Brooks, S. F. Sparks, Howard Bailey and Henry M. Brewer entered the service at Nacogdoches March 8, 1836, as volunteers and had been engaged by the government in various services. They on April 8, 1836, being members of Captain L. Smith's company at Harrisburg. On that date they were ordered by David Thomas, acting secretary of war, to report themselves to the commander-in-chief of the army. They joined Captain Hayden Arnold's company April 12 and served under him at San Jacinto. He was issued Donation Certificate No. 612 for 640 acres of land November 2, 1838, for having participated in the battle. The land was surveyed in Rusk County in 1848 by the heirs of Mr. Chapman. The probate records of Rusk County show that Mr., Chapman died in Rusk County in 1847.

Enlisted June 27, 1836 for three months in Captain William Rufus C. Hays' Company.

Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.

Battle Statistics

  • Died in Battle: No
  • Rank: Private
  • Company: Capt. Hayden S. Arnold

Personal Statistics

  • Origin: Georgia
  • Came to Texas: 1834
  • Date of Death: 1847
  • Donation Certificate: 612