The Kemp Sketch
CELLUM, JAMES -- The compiler is responsible for the name James Cellum being placed on a tablet in the San Jacinto monument as a veteran of the battle. He now believes that the name should be listed as Josh Clelens. See the sketch of Josh Clelens in this San Jacinto volume.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William Kimbro
- Alternate Names: Kellum, Clelens, Clellens
- Date of Birth: 1813, Jun 11
- Birthplace: Virginia, Franklin County
- Came to Texas: 1832
- Date of Death: 1875 Jul 25
- Burial Place: Red River Co., Texas
- Comments: May be confused with Josh Clelens
- Bounty Certificate: 2027
- Wife: Emily Scott
- Children: Ellen Elizabeth Cellum Wadlington; Robert Cellum; Thomas Jefferson Cellum; Horace Edward Jerome Cellum; Erastus Webb Cellum