The Kemp Sketch
HOPE, RICHARD - Name omitted from the San Jacinto Rolls printed in 1836 and from the rolls in the General Land Office on which are listed the names of those who were detailed to guard the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg April 21, 1836. The compiler prior to October 1, 1838 has carried Mr. Hope as a San Jacinto veteran but he now believes that he was sick at the camp at Donohoo’s or at Harrisburg on April 21st.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: [Capt. David Murphree] detailed to guard baggage
- Date of Birth: 1818 Apr 21
- Birthplace: Louisiana, St. Francisville
- Came to Texas: 1825? 1824?
- Date of Death: 1887 Mar
- Other Battles: Bexar
- Bounty Certificate: 496
- Wife: 1. unknown; 2. Sarah B. Garrett
- Children: Sydney Hope and 4 others.
- Family at San Jacinto: Brother Prosper Hope fought at San Jacinto.