The Kemp Sketch
MORRIS, GEORGE - One man by the name of George Morris received title to a league of land October 30, 1834 in the colony of Power and Heweston, surveyed in the present county of San Patricio. After Texas became a republic he was entitled to receive and augmentation headright for one labor of land but apparently he did not apply for it.
One George Morris was issued a headright certificate July 5, 1838 for one-third of a league of land. This was lost and a duplicate was issued July 29, 1851. In the duplicate it is not stated when Mr. Morris came to Texas.
One George Morris was a member of Company E, Captain Gibson Kuykendall. On August 10, 1838 he was issued Donation Certificate No. 506 for 640 acres of land for having been detailed to guard the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg, April 21, 1836. The land was surveyed in Harris and Ft. Bend counties.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Gibson Kuykendall
- Donation Certificate: 506