The Kemp Sketch
MEANS, WILLIAM - According to the 1835 census of Sabine Municipality Mr. Means was born in about 1810 and his wife, Frances, born in about 1813. Their son Benjamin Franklin was born in 1832 and their daughter, Margaret E., was born in 1834.
Mr. Means came to Texas in 1832, as is shown in Headright Certificate No. 80 issued to him February 4, 1838 for one labor of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for Sabine County. He was issued Bounty Certificate No. 736 for 320 acres of land December 3, 1850 for having served in the army from January 21 to April 21, 1836. He received Donation Certificate No. 240 for 640 acres of land December 3, 1850 for having been detailed to guard the baggage at the camp opposite Harrisburg April 21, 1836. He was living in San Augustine County January 29, 1857 when he sold the certificate to H. M. Kinney for $100.
Mr. Means was living in Sabine County September 20, 1867 when he sold his headright certificate to Charles C. Grayson for $100.
1 league surveyed in Sabine and Newton counties.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Company: [Capt. Benjamin F. Bryant] sick or guarding baggage
- Date of Birth: 1809 Dec 14
- Birthplace: Georgia
- Origin: Louisiana
- Came to Texas: 1832
- Date of Death: 1876 Jan 31
- Burial Place: Meansville Cemetery, San Patricio County, Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 736
- Donation Certificate: 240
- Wife: Frances Amelia Blackburn
- Children: Benjamin Franklin Means; Margaret E. Means; Ferdinand Britten Means; Harriet Missouri Means; Sarah Frances Means Nelson; Napoleon Bonaparte Means; William Blackburn Means; John Means; Eliza Jane Means Baker; John Helm Means; Hugh Means; Sam Allison Means