The Kemp Sketch
McMILLAN, ANDREW - Although left at the camp opposite Harrisburg, April 21, 1836, he was on November 16, 1838, issued Donation Certificate No. 602 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the Battle of San Jacinto. His name does not appear on the official rolls as printed in 1836. Mr. W. P. Zuber and Mr. McMillan were members of Captain James Gillaspie’s Company and both were left at the Harrisburg camp. This Mr. Zuber stated in a letter published in the Texas Almanac in 1860. (Note: Also Texas 1834 H R No. 25 1/4 L Robertson)
Mr. McMillan was born in Ireland in March, 1814, and emigrated to the United States in 1822. He came to Texas in 1834 as is stated in Headright Certificate No. 80 issued to him February 5, 1838 for one-twelfth of a league of land by the Robertson County Board of Land Commissioners.
Mr. McMillan’s brothers and sisters were Elizabeth, Andrew, James and George McMillan.
Mr. McMillan was issued Bounty Certificate No. 4170 for 1280 acres of land August 7, 1838 for having served in the army from March 4, 1836 to April 17, 1837. He was issued Donation Certificate No. 602 for 640 acres of land November 16, 1838, for having participated in the battle of San Jacinto. He was a member of Captain James Gillaspie’s Company.
Mr. McMillan was married to Talitha Heggs. Mr. McMillan died at Owensville, Robertson County, January 26, 1897, while a member of the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. McMillan died in 1886.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. McMillan were (1) George, (2) Huge, (3) John, (4) Andrew, (5) Mary Ann, (6) Susan, (7) Elizabeth, (8) Jennie, and (9) Mattie McMillan.
(1) George McMillan was married to Jennie Pettigrew. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan are death. Their children were (a) George, (b) Walter, (c) Julia, and (d) Maude.
(a) George McMillan died while in college.
(b) Walter McMillan.
(c) Julia McMillan was married to Dr. J. C. Holman. Dr. Holman and wife live at Franklin, Texas.
(d) Miss Maude McMillan lives at Franklin.
(2) Hugh McMillan was married to Mollie Allday. Mr. McMillan is dead. Their children were (a) Sam, (b) Howard, (c) Andrew, (d) Raymond, (e) George, (f) Eva, (g) Cora, and (h) Addie McMillan.
(a) Sam McMillan is dead.
(b) Howard McMillan was married to Rosa Gilland. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan reside in San Antonio.
(c) Andrew McMillan is dead.
(d) Raymond McMillan was married to a Mrs. Seigler. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan reside in Owensville, Texas.
(e) George McMillan resides at Owensville, Texas.
(f) Miss Eva McMillan resides in Dallas.
(g) Cora McMillan was married to James Leamon. Mr. and Mrs. Leamon live in Dallas.
(3) John McMillan was married to Mollie Grant. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan are dead. Their children were (a) Davis, (b) Wiley, (c) Tennie C., and (d) Mattie.
(a) Davis McMillan lives at Olney, Texas.
(b) Wiley McMillan
(c) Tennie C. McMillan
(d) Mattie McMillan.
(4) Andrew McMillan was married to Belle Scott. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan moved to Oklahoma and died in that state. Their children were Jennie Belle, Andrew and Allie Gray McMillan.
(5) Mary Ann McMillan was married to Benjamin Merriman. Mr. Merriman is dead. Their children were (a) William, (b) Peter, (c) Thomas, and (d) Clara.
(a)William Merriman is dead.
(b) Peter Merriman was married to a Miss Redden. Mr. and Mrs. Merriman live near Franklin, Texas.
(c) Thomas Merriman was married to a Miss Davis. Mr. and Mrs. Merriman live near Franklin.
(d) Clara Merriman was married to Clyde Lee.
(6) Susan McMillan was married to W. J. Cox. Mr. and Mrs. Cox are dead. Their children were (a) James A., (b) Ida, (c) Ima, (d) Alma, (e) Ola, (f) Annie, and (g) Jennie Cox.
(a) James A. Cox was married to Mary Class. Mr. and Mrs. Cox live in Lufkin.
(b) Ida Cox was married to John W. Guynes. Mr. and Mrs. Guynes live in Calvert.
(c) Ima Cox was married to Ellis Henderson. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson reside in Calvert.
(d) Alma Cox was married to Will Henderson. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson reside at Calvert, Texas.
(e) Ola Cox was married to Will C. Perry. Judge and Mrs. Perry reside at 413 Emerson Street, Houston.
(f) Annie Cox was married to Joseph W. Beasley. Mr. and Mrs. Beasley live in Alamogorda, New Mexico.
(g) Jennie Cox was married to R_____ B_____ Grant. Mr. and Mrs. Grant live in Bryan, Texas.
(7) Elizabeth McMillan was married to Isaac Lloyd. Mrs. Lloyd lives in Brownfield, Texas. Their children were (a) Edna, (b) May, and (c) Andrew Lloyd.
(a) Edna Lloyd was married to Orlando Wilder.
(b) May Lloyd was married to Neil Lipscomb. Rev. and Mrs. Lipscomb live near Lubbock.
(c) Andrew Lloyd lives at Brownfield, Texas.
(8) Jennie McMillan was married to E. J. Young. Mrs. Young lives near Kosse, Texas. Their children were (a) Mack, (b) William, and (c) Jay Young.
(a) Mack Young was not married. He lives near Kosse, Texas.
(b) William Young reside near Kosse.
(c) Jay Young lives near Kosse.
(9) Mattie McMillan, youngest child of Andrew McMillan, San Jacinto Veteran, died at the age of eighteen, unmarried.
Mrs. Will C. Perry, Houston, is a granddaughter of Andrew McMillan.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: [Capt. James Gillaspie] sick or detailed to guard baggage
- Date of Birth: 1814 Mar
- Birthplace: Ireland
- Came to Texas: 1834
- Date of Death: 1897 Jan 26
- Bounty Certificate: 4170
- Donation Certificate: 602
- Wife: Talitha Heggs
- Children: George McMillan, Hugh McMillan, John McMillan, Andrew McMillan, Mary Ann McMillan Merriman, Susan McMillan Cox, Elizabeth McMillan Lloyd, Jennie McMillan Young, Mattie McMillan