Box, John Andrew ( 1803 Jul 2 - 1874 Aug 2 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
BOX, JOHN ANDREWS -- Born in Franklin County, Tennessee, July 2, 1803, a son of John M. Box. He came to Texas in 1834, as is stated in the Headright Certificate issued to him in 1838 for one labor of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for Houston County. He brought his family with him and on July 30, 1835 he received a league of land in Vehlein's Colony in what is now Houston County. He was issued Bounty Certificate No. 1691 for 320 acres, January 9, 1838 for having served in the army from March 19 to June 19, 1836. He was a member of Captain Hayden Arnold's Company at San Jacinto and on January 11, 1839 he was issued Bounty Certificate No. 742 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle.
Mr. Box was twice married but the name of either wife is not known to the compiler. Mr. Box died August 2, 1874 and was buried in the Box cemetery three miles south of Crockett. The State of Texas had a monument erected at his grave in 1936.
Some of the children of Mr. Box were (1) Betty, (2) Jeanie, (3)Rowena, (4) Louis, (5) Weslie, (6) John.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Hayden S. Arnold
- Alternate Names: Andrews
- Date of Birth: 1803 Jul 2
- Birthplace: Tennessee, Winchester
- Came to Texas: 1834
- Date of Death: 1874 Aug 2
- Burial Place: Box Beeson Cemetery, Houston Co., Texas
- Bounty Certificate: 1691
- Donation Certificate: 742
- Wife: 1. Mary Polly Bynum; 2. Lucinda Jane Yarbrough
- Children: Williams Robert; Nancy A. Box Prewitt; Keziah Elizabeth Box Gilbert Heflin; Lina Helen Box Singeltary; Texana Viola Box Taylor Hurt; Louisa Elizabeth Box Saxon; Eugina Adina Box Lowe; Rowena Box Davidson; Louis C.; Mary Box; Wesley; John; James; Samuel
- Family at San Jacinto: Brothers James Edward, Nelson, and Thomas Griffin Box and future father-in-law Swanson Yarborough at San Jacinto; brother Stilwell Box and future brother-in-law Joseph Randolph Yarborough at Harrisburg