San Jancinto Museum of History

Veteran Biographies
Back to Veterans

Wilkinson, James G.  ( 1805 Mar 5  -  1848 Aug 15 )

The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript

WILKINSON, JAMES G. JR.--Born in Hardin County, Kentucky, March 5, 1805, a son of Captain James G. Wilkinson. His father received title to a league of land in Austin's Fifth Colony, situated in Fayette County, October 14, 1835. In the Headright Certificate issued to him in 1838 for one-labor of land by the Board of Land Commissioners for Washington County it is stated that he came to Texas in 1831. He died in the then Milam County, now probably embraced in Burleson County, February 17, 1841. The subject of this sketch did not arrive in Texas until 1835, as is shown in the Headright Certificate issued to him in 1838 by the Milam County Board. On an original roll of Captain William W. Hill's Company at muster, April 11, 1836, Mr. Wilkinson is shown as having been born in Hardin County, Kentucky in 1805. He was recruited at the home of Asa Mitchell in Washington County by Captain Joseph P. Lynch. He is shown as being 5 feet, 10 inches in height, fair complexion, with blue eyes and light hair. He was a farmer.

Mr. Wilkinson was issued Bounty Certificate No. 803 for 320 acres of land, December 7, 1837 for having served in the army from March 1 to May 30, 1836. He was First Sergeant in Captain William W. Hill's Company at San Jacinto and on May 15, 1838 he received Donation Certificate No. 65 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle.

Mr. Wilkinson died in Burleson County, August 15, 1848. His widow, Mrs. Amanda Wilkinson, was appointed administratrix of his estate. He left two minor children.

Mr. Wilkinson and his wife were buried beneath a huge post-oak tree on a knoll overlooking the Yegua Creek, about five miles east of Dime Box, Lee County, in Burleson County. The tombstone at the grave of Mr. Wilkinson was of marble and bore an inscription. The grave of Mrs. Wilkinson was marked only by a rough stone and there was no inscription on it. An iron fence, fashioned by hand, enclosed Mr. Wilkinson's grave. The graves in 1938 were on land owned by Mr. August B. Kubena.

The following inscription was on the tombstone at Mr. Wilkinson's grave: " J.G. Wilkinson Born March 5, 1805 Died August 15, 1848 One of the Heroes of San Jacinto By his son D.B. Wilkinson"

The State of Texas had the remains of Mr. and Mrs. Wilkinson removed and on _________ ,1938 reinterred in the State Cemetery at Austin where a new joint monument was erected at their graves.



Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.


Battle Statistics

  • Died in Battle: No
  • Rank: Private
  • Company: Lieut. Robert Stevenson

Personal Statistics

  • Date of Birth: 1805 Mar 5
  • Birthplace: Kentucky, Hardin County
  • Came to Texas: 1835
  • Date of Death: 1848 Aug 15
  • Burial Place: Texas State Cemetery, Austin, Texas
  • Bounty Certificate: 803
  • Donation Certificate: 65
  • Profession: Farmer, justice
  • Wife: 1. Lucinda Hannis; 2. Amanda Wilkinson
  • Children: David Brown Wilkinson; Chriesman Bomar Wilkinson

Related Artifacts

 
 

Back to Veterans