Bain, Noel Moses ( 1800 - 1864 May 28 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
BAIN, NOEL M. -- Arrived in Texas in February, 1836, as is stated in the Headright Certificate issued to him March 15, 1838, for one-third of a league of land by the Bastrop County Board. The land was surveyed in Bastrop County in April, 1838.
Mr. Bain was issued Bounty Certificate No. 278 for 640 acres of land, May 31, 1847, for having served in the army from February 28 to September 1, 1836. He sold the certificate at Austin, June 15, 1847, for $50,00 to Robert D. McAnnelly. He was a member of Captain Jesse Billingsley's Company at San Jacinto and on May 21, 1838, was issued Donation Certificate No. 118 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle. The land was surveyed in Burmet County in May, 1839.
In a letter dated Halifax County, North Carolina, October 1, 1859, by R. B. Walker and published in the Texas Almanac of 1868, Mr. Walker stated that Mr. Bain at San Jacinto was the captor of the Mexican General Almonte.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Wounded in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. Jesse Billingsley
- Alternate Names: Baine, Baines
- Date of Birth: 1800
- Birthplace: Ireland, County Armagh
- Origin: Maryland
- Came to Texas: 1827; 1830; 1831
- Date of Death: 1864 May 28
- Burial Place: Prairie Lea Cemetery, Brenham, Texas
- Comments: Somervell Expedition
- Bounty Certificate: 8096
- Donation Certificate: 118
- Profession: Farmer, rancher
- Wife: Cecilia Inglesby
- Children: Sarah Jane Baine; Alice Rebecca Baine Levinson; William Baine; George Inglesby Baine; Mary Jane Baine Crozier Kerr; Elizabeth Mathilda Baine Crozier; Parthenia Passano Baine Carlisle; Cecilia Theresa Baine Low; Moses MacKernan Baine; Harry Englesby Baine