Collard, Job Starks ( 1813 Mar 21 or 23 - 1867 Jun 1 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
COLLARD, JOB STARKS -- Born in Missouri, March 21, 1813. In the Headright Certificate issued to him January 18, 1838 for a league and labor of land by the Montgomery County Board, it is stated that he came to Texas in August, 1833. In Service Record No. 8446 it is stated that he served in the army from March 1 to June 12, 1836. He was first lieutenant in Captain William Ware's Company at San Jacinto and on May 29, 1838 was issued Donation Certificate No. 257 for 640 acres of land for having participated in the battle. After receiving his discharge he re-enlisted in the army and commanded a company until at least September 30, 1836.
Captain Collard was twice married. His first wife was Miss Robinson. By this marriage the following children were born: Joseph, who married Jennie Martin; Elizabeth, who married Phillip Crabb; Mollie, who married Reuben Stillwell; Nannie, who married Iezick Burdet; Emma, who married Billie Nonn Bryan.
Mrs. Collard died at Madisonville, Texas. Captain Collard was next married to Sarah James, daughter of Brown James. Their children were: Maggie, who married W. A. Childress; Eveline, who died in infancy; and Annie Collard, who died in infancy; and Job Brown.
Captain Collard resided for a number of years in Danville, Montgomery County. He died June 1, 1867 and is buried in a marked grave in the old cemetery at Madisonville, Madison County, Texas. Mrs. Collard died at San Prairie, Madison County, on August 7, 1883, and is buried in Madisonville.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: First Lieutenant
- Company: Capt. William Ware
- Alternate Names: Stark
- Date of Birth: 1813 Mar 21 or 23
- Birthplace: Missouri, Lincoln County
- Came to Texas: 1833 Aug
- Date of Death: 1867 Jun 1
- Burial Place: Madisonville, Texas
- Donation Certificate: 257
- Wife: 1. Sarah Elizabeth Robinson; 2. Sarah James
- Children: Joseph Collard; Elizabeth Collard Crabb; James Collard; Mollie Collard Stillwell; Nannie Collard Burdet; Julia Emma Collard Bryan; Maggie Collard Childress; Sarah E. Collard; Evaline Collard; Annie Collard; Job Brown Collard
- Family at San Jacinto: Brother-in-law George W. Robinson at San Jacinto; brother Jonathan Collard and brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson at Harrisburg