Clopper, Andrew M. ( 1791 - 1852 Sept 16 )
The Kemp Sketch (What is this?) | Download the original typescript
CLOPPER, ANDREW M. -- Born in Pennsylvania in 1791. In the Headright Certificate issued to him February 1, 1838 for one-third of a league of land by the Harrisburg County Board of Land Commissioners it is stated that he came to Texas in January, 1828. He was a son of Nicholas Clopper who came to Texas in 1822 and settled in the present county of Matagorda. Nicholas Clopper received title to land December 18, 1835 in Austin's third colony, situated in Matagorda County. On December 4, 1834, he purchased from Stephen F. Austin the tract of land known afterwards as Clopper's Point. Mr. Clopper at that time was living in the municipality of Austin but moved soon thereafter to Harrisburg Municipality. Nicholas Clopper, Jr., died in 1838 and Nicholas Clopper, Sr., before July 26, 1841.
Andrew M. Clopper was issued Bounty Certificate No. 2964 for 640 acres of land April 20, 1838, for having served in the army from April 6 to October 3, 1836. He was a member of Captain William H. Smith's cavalry company at San Jacinto.
The Deed Records of Harris County show that on January 18, 1838, Mr. Clopper sold to Colonel Sidney Sherman "all that tract or parcel of land called Greenfield, situated and fronting on Galveston Bay, being a part of a league of land granted by the government to Johnston Hunter and sold by said Hunter to Nicholas Clopper.
Mr. Clopper's will is recorded in Harris County, dated April 15, 1852. In it he left the sum of one thousand dollars "to be distributed and expended among the deserving poor and needy of the faith and House of God." He directed that his brother, Joseph C. Clopper of Cincinnati, Ohio, administrator of his estate, to sell the 240 acres of land which was Andrew's portion of his father's Harrisburg tract of land, in order to secure the money to be given to charity.
Mr. Clopper died September 16, 1853 and was buried in the Morris Cemetery in Seabrook, Harris County. His remains were exhumed and on May 17, 1936 reinterred in Founders Memorial Park, Houston.
Written by Louis W. Kemp, between 1930 and 1952. Please note that typographical and factual errors have not been corrected from the original sketches. The biographies have been scanned from the original typescripts, a process that sometimes allows for mistakes in the new text. Researchers should verify the accuracy of the texts' contents through other sources before quoting in publications. Additional information on the veteran may be available in the Herzstein Library.
- Died in Battle: No
- Rank: Private
- Company: Capt. William H. Smith
- Date of Birth: 1791
- Birthplace: Pennsylvania
- Came to Texas: 1828 Jan
- Date of Death: 1852 Sept 16
- Comments: Father Nicholas Clopper instrumental in acquiring the Twin Sisters cannon in Cincinnati.